Question about gdb on CYGWIN

I am a slow learner. I posted to everything but the directions in the
digest I receive.

I am running the very latest GDB as found on the very latest CYGWIN. I
can't seem to disassemble
GetTickCount(), a Microsoft routine. I want to single step at the
assembly
language level into and out of the 4 instruction GetTickCount() routine.

My program is quite simple and
included below. Its intent is to demonstrate
the granularity of GetTickCount(). I wanted to disassemble it to see how

it works. I had no trouble with
the Microsoft C++ debugger, but I can't seem to get gdb to disassemble
or
single step at the assemply language level a routine that gcc didn't
compile.
It seems to me it should disassemble and proceed even without symbols.

What am I doing wrong?

    gcc granular.cpp -o granular-gcc
    gdb granular-gcc.exe
    > break main
    > run
    > step and continue trying to step into GetTickCount().

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Ed Bradford

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

//
// Simple program to demonstrate the granularity of GetTickCount().
//
int main(int ac, char *av[])
{
 unsigned u1, u2;
 unsigned u2prev;
 unsigned counter = 0;
 int i;

 for(i = 0; i < 16; i++) {
  counter = 0;
  u1 = GetTickCount();
  do {
   u2 = GetTickCount();
   counter++;
  } while(u2 == u1);

  printf("%2d: GetTickCount:             u1=%u u2=%u counter=%u\n",
   i+1,u1,u2,counter);
 }
 printf("\n");

 return 0;