GDB with Hitachi Linker output

Hello,
with regard to your earlier email correspondence which I found at
redhat.com, could you please update me as to what the latest is regarding
using GDB and Hitachi linker output. I'm successfully remote debugging a H8
target and just need to load the symbol table to get source level debugging
working.

I've been looking for a object file converter utility, which out much luck.

thanks for helping
Andrew

>> original email trail.........
The SRCONV utility is actually pretty broken, through no fault of Cygnus.We
ran into the problem three years ago that SRCONV-emitted files caused the
Hitachi in-circuit emulator to crash. After much consultation with both
sides, we determined that:1) The Hitachi SYSROF spec only describes the
output of the data from the compiler/linker, and do not specify implicit
ordering dependencies, and 2) linker/debugger are fragile and do not emit
proper error messages when a certain section is out of order.Therefore, it
was impossible to debug the problem and we gave up on SRCONV.Toshi> > >>>>>
"Bill" == Bill Gatliff <gatliff@haulpak.com> writes:> Bill> Is anyone using
GDB sh-hitachi-hms with executables supplied by> Bill> the Hitachi linker?>
> I don't think so. > > AFAIK, the hitachi object format is sysroff. There
is a sysroff to> COFF converter in binutils (srconv), but nothing to do the
reverse. I> vaguely remember a receiving email from Ian Taylor two or three
years> ago that said that support for whatever was missing in BFD that
caused> srconv to be a separate program (instead of available through
objcopy)> had been added. That project never became high enough priority to>
follow up. > > It's possible that the email was referring to nlmconv instead
of> srconv, since I worked on both programs in that time frame. I'm > sorry
I can't remember any more details.> > --jtc> > -- > J.T. Conklin> RedBack
Networks>

Andrew Philp

Trintech Group Plc,
Trintech Building,
South County Business Park
Leopardstown,
Dublin 18.
Phone: +353 1 207 4283

This email should be considered personal
and does not necessarily reflect the views
of Trintech or any other of its employees
or officers.