Re: Linux threads support in GDB

   Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:25:21 -0600 (MDT)
   From: gdb@dontknow.org

Appologies for the this late reply.  Meanwhile, the particular failing
assertions you were seeing should be gone.

   Ok, here is a test case that will reproduce the problem (to some
   extent anyways). I guess for some of my testing trying to reproduce
   the problem with something similiar I was using GDB 5.0, not the
   cvs version. However that version also has problems with the
   following code.) Normally when I run the real application I have
   SIGSTOP and SIGCONT set to nostop, which may be why it isn't seen
   until a breakpoint is used, whereas here it happens after the
   implicit SIGCONT breakpoint.

Hmm.  GDB heavily relies on SIGSTOP itself.  There is no other way to
stop threads in Linux :-(.  Due to the nature of signals (particularly
the fact that multiple signals might be merged into one), this rather
hoplessly interferes with the SIGSTOPs you're using in your program.
I really don't intend to fix this.  Sorry.

Mark

PS Please keep CC'ing the GDB mailing list.  These discussions could
be useful for other people too.