Re: src/ltcf-c.sh

    Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:16:14 +1100
    From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>

    Richard Earnshaw wrote:

    > dan@cgsoftware.com said:
    > > You'd have to use cvs update -dP, in the root dir, but this would then
    > > procede to download other stuff you don't want that is in that cvs
    > > repository. In this case, your only option is to use checkout.
    >
    > cvs update -l; cvs update -dP *
    >
    > does the trick for me.  It would miss a new directory being added at the
    > top level, but that's a pretty rare event that I'm prepared to live with.

    Ah, I think that is because your top level src/CVS directory contains
    the file Entries.Static (please don't ask me exactly what that does, I
    don't know :-).

Entries.Static isn't anything mysterious.  It's created by cvs when
you check out part of a directory, but not all of it.

It tells future invocations of CVS to not automatically add to that
directory any files that it finds that aren't already in the sandbox.
So, if you check out all of the src repository rather than just the
gdb or binutils or cgen or whatever module, then Entries.Static won't
get created and updates will notice new files.

If you want new files to be noticed but don't want to check out
everything (i.e., you want all the regular files within a directory,
but not all the subdirectories of the directory), you can just delete
the Entries.Static file and they'll get added the next time you do an
update.

Entries.Static is documented somewhere; if not on the man page, then
possibly on the FAQ (I don't have the CVS documentation handy right at
the moment).

    Per H.J's comment, the ``correct'' way to do the update is to do a ``cvs
    -d `cat src/CVS/Root` co gdb'' in the directory above.  It was once
    suggested that there be a src/etc/gdb_update file (modeled loosely after
    gcc_update).  I've no problems with this.  I suspect, though, it would
    be a lot simpler than GCC's gcc_update as GDB doesn't have those nasty
    interdependencies found in GCC.

I'm not familiar with gcc_update; would someone be willing to describe
it?  Thanks.

    enjoy,
	    Andrew

David