Re: gdb doesn't work very well with dynamic linked binaries

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 07:51:53PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>    Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 08:49:34 -0700
>    From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>
>
>    On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 11:47:13AM +0100, Joern Rennecke wrote:
>    > > It is too bad that not many gcc developers using --enable-shared to
>    > > configure gcc under ia32. See
>    >
>    > Well, on Linux, gdb fails to restart a cc1 / cc1plus executable that is
>    > statically linked, which makes debugging very tedious.
>    > So I always patch my Makefile to use static linking.
>
>    That is a very annoying bug in gdb 5.0. When I set a breakpoint in
>    the shared library, I have to disable them before restart.
>
> Getting this bug fixed is one of the release criteria for GDB 5.1.
> All I have now is a hack that works around the problems, see the GDB
> TODO file for more info.

How about the hardware watchpoints on ia32? I mean

1. Delete hardware watchpoints to free hardware debug registers. Set 4
hardware watchpoints. Then delete/disable one hardware watchpoint. Set
another hardware watchpoint. Can gdb free a hardware debug register
when I delete/disable the hardware watchpoint which uses it?
2. Watch for different values on a viariable with one hardware debug
register. That is do

(gdb) watch foobar == 1
(gdb) watch foobar == 2
(gdb) watch foobar == 3
(gdb) watch foobar == 4
(gdb) watch foobar == 5

only using one hardware debug register.

I have reported them long before 5.0 was released. But at least #1
still doesn't work right in 5.0 under Linux/ia32.

Thanks.

H.J.