Re: Dejagnu as part of repository?

jtc@redback.com (J.T. Conklin) writes:

> Andrew> Hello, Should the GDB repository contain dejagnu?
>
> The only reservation I have is that dejagnu includes tcl, tk, and
> expect.  This can lead to the situation where a user installs a
> different version of these programs/libraries atop the versions
> that are already on their machines if they're not careful.  I've
> blown away texinfo 4.0 several times already because GDB snapshots
> contain a hacked version of texinfo 3.2.

It turns out that the combination of Dejagnu + the gdb testsuites is
not currently known to work with Tcl8.2.  There were some subtle
changes to the regexp parser made in order to support the wider Perl regexp
syntax, which will probably mean that some of the regexp's in dejagnu
or more likely the gdb testsuite will need to be tweaked.

My guess is that this will not involve any major changes, but still,
to be consistent, for now we actually need to make sure that someone
running the testsuite for gdb is NOT using their already installed
version of Tcl if that version is 8.2.  So this argues for packaging
all this stuff together.

B.T.W. even if users did blow away their Tcl installation, it would
probably not be a big deal.  Our version of Tcl is a slightly modified
version of 8.0.5, the most recent 8.0 variety, so most users would not
even notice the change.  And different minor version number variants
of Tcl can coexist in the same location, so if they had an 8.1 or 8.2,
we would not touch that.

Jim

--
Jim Ingham                                              jingham@cygnus.com