Re: gdbserver exiting

   From: Kevin Hilman <khilman@equator.com>
   Date: 15 Sep 1999 13:14:58 -0700

   I working on a port of gdbserver.  I'd like to convince gdbserver to
   exit when gdb exits since it's a multi-user environment and each user
   will run their own instance of gdbserver.  Is there anything part
   of the protocol to do this, or should I add my own extention to
   the protocol.

Yes, the existing "k" packet should do what you want.  If GDB has a
live connection via "target remote", and you quit, it will send a
"k" packet.  In fact, my version of gdbserver exits when it receives
a "k", unless you're using extended-remote, what version are you
using?  From gdbserver/server.c:

	    case 'k':
	      fprintf (stderr, "Killing inferior\n");
	      kill_inferior ();
	      /* When using the extended protocol, we start up a new
	         debugging session.   The traditional protocol will
	         exit instead.  */
	      if (extended_protocol)
		{
		  write_ok (own_buf);
		  fprintf (stderr, "GDBserver restarting\n");

		  /* Wait till we are at 1st instruction in prog.  */
		  signal = start_inferior (&argv[2], &status);
		  goto restart;
		  break;
		}
	      else