Re: Recent Linux related changes to gdb...

   Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:10:05 -0700
   From: Kevin Buettner <kevinb@cygnus.com>

   Hi,

   Michael Snyder has already written to tell you that Linux thread
   support has been merged into gdb.  If you want to try it out, fetch
   the most recent gdb snapshot from sourceware.cygnus.com.

   Jim Blandy has merged various other Linux changes (in addition to the
   thread related stuff) into a branch off the main Cygnus development
   tree.  It is my understanding that these non-thread related changes
   represent the work of Bill Metzenthen, H.J. Lu, Anthony Green, and
   probably others as well.  (My apologies if I left your name out.)  I
   am pleased to report that these changes have been merged into the main
   development branch and are also available via the most recent snapshot
   from sourceware.cygnus.com.

I'm not pleased at all that these changes have been merged in.  They
break every non-Linux i386 target.  `i386-tdep.c' has been turned into a
Linux-specific mess (for example the Linux-specific signal trampoline
handling) and symbols that are only defined in `config/i386/tm-linux.h'
are used all over the place (LOW_RETURN_REGNUM, HIGH_RETURN_REGNUM,
FPSTART_REGNUM, FPEND_REGNUM).

I think this is unacceptable, and beg you to revert the patch until
some care has been taken that it doesn't break all the other i386
targets, and the linux-specific signal trampoline handling has been
split-out into a seperate file.

Mark