[comp.os.linux.development.system] Call for Authors: OPL book on kernel programming

Note the comment about kernel debugging in the middle - people knowledgeable
on this subject should make sure he knows about using GDB...

								Stan

From: Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@canada.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Call for Authors: OPL book on kernel programming
Date: 07 Sep 1999 12:50:50 -0400

Logic and Reason have prevailed: Macmillan has agreed to publish our
Kernel Programming Book under the OPL, and I have agreed to use docbook
as the authoring process to ease later migration of all sections of the
book back into the LDP.

This is not a "module programming" book; Alessandro is much better at
that than I could ever hope to be, and that is the way it should
be. "Professional Linux Kernel Programming" is a guide for people who
need to get under the hood and leverage the freedoms of the GPL in
employing Linux for specialized applications.  There will be material
on driver programming, but this is not the primary focus of this book.

The book will also focus on the 2.2/2.3 kernels and while we hope to
also include whatever is known about 2.4/2.5, there is very little need
to support 2.0/2.1 (Beck & al have already done this admirably)

We are looking at a Dec deadline for all submissions, and we are
currently seeking contributing authors for sections including

        - the network layer and the network devices
        - SMP, IPC and Memory management
        - salvaging investments in NT drivers
        - kernel programming tools, debugging and 'best practices'
        - the sound systems

When we are done, we hope to leave behind a complete opus of papers in
the LPD to cover programming issues in the entire kernel (on all
supported architectures).  Anyone interested in participating in this
project is invited to contact me directly at garym@canada.com or by
phone at 519-422-2723

People interested in writing about other aspects of open source and free
software are invited to visit http://www.teledyn.com/authors.shtml

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@canada.com>  TeleDynamics Communications Inc
Business Telecom Services : Internet Consulting : http://www.teledyn.com