overlays and hardware breakpoints

I'm looking at taking on a project that would reduce the amount of
breakpoint insertion and removal that is done.  At the present time,
GDB removes all breakpoints after the target stops.  And it inserts
them just before it starts the target.  This behavior significantly
slows remote debugging, even when using a relatively fast transport
mechanism for whatever remote protocol is in use.

But while studying breakpoint.c, I noticed that there does not seem to
be support for using hardware breakpoints and overlays.  Although CPUs
with hardware breakpoint registers typically have large address spaces,
it is not inconceivable that overlays may be used.  Perhaps a boot ROM
or other bringup code.

Is there any reason that we shouldn't support both hardware and
software breakpoints in overlays?  It shouldn't be difficult to change.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
RedBack Networks