Re: Library interface to GDB

Dave Camp <campd@oit.edu> writes:

> And Martin - perhaps we can discuss working together on a debugger -
> taking some stuff from ggdb (for example, I like parts of the idl) and
> putting in Dryad, or whatever.  No sense in us working on redundant
> projects.  Email me and we'll discuss it.

Yes, sure. And my GDB library idea is not really a "redundant project",
it should be a very low-level interface to gdb which basically means to
put gdb into a library, export all important functions and add some
wrappers to things where gdb outputs text for instance.

If I understood your implementation correctly, your CORBA interface will
talk to libdryad which handles the interaction with the debugger but is
independent from any special debugger. This is a very good idea since it
gives people the chance to use dryad with a different debugger than gdb
as well.

I just want to insert an additional "layer of abstraction" - a low-level
interface to gdb which libdry will use so we'll have something like

    application (ie. dryad) ->                          ->  libgdb (for gdb)

                               dryad CORBA -> libdryad

    other application       ->                          ->  libfoo (for bar)

Of cause we can discuss this, we really should work together on this project.

--
Martin Baulig - martin@home-of-linux.org - http://www.home-of-linux.org