4.17.85 broken on OSR5

All,

4.17.85 is broken on SCO OpenServer 5, a platform that traditionally works
quite well. It compiles OK, but here's what I get when I try to debug
anything:
hyperion:/u/tmp/gdb-4.17.85/osr5/gdb% ./gdb --nx j
GNU gdb 4.17.85
This GDB was configured as "i486-pc-sco3.2v5.0"...
(gdb) l main
1       #include <stdio.h>
2
3       int main (void)
4       {
5         printf ("Hello world\n");
6         exit (0);
7       }
(gdb) br 5
Breakpoint 1 at 0x80484aa: file j.c, line 5.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /u1/gdb-4.17.85/osr5/gdb/j
Hello world

Program exited normally.
You can't do that without a process to debug.
(gdb)

Any ideas? It doesnt seem to want to insert breakpoints.
--
J. Kean Johnston  |"A man with courage on the outside dares to die;
Engineer, SPG     | A man with courage on the inside dares to live" - Lao Tzu