GDB: one version for all targets

>From some of the discussions on this list, I have interpretted that GDB may
be moving to one version that can dynmically detect the CPU target and ABI
type.  A manual setting for these is provided as a fallback if autodetection
fails.

Does this mean there would only be one GDB that would cater for all targets.
eg. i386, powerpc, m68k, etc ?

This sounds like a fantastic idea and I look forward to such a versatile
debugger.
Does anyone know when this is likely to be available ?

I assume the correct simulator would be called based on the above settings.

To reduce diskspace, would it be possible to have the supported targets and
ABI types as some kind of shared library or plug in module ?

Brendan Simon.
begin:vcard
n:Simon;Brendan
tel;fax:+61 3 9886 0269
tel;home:+61 3 9561 0817
tel;work:+61 3 9886 0128
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CTAM Pty Ltd
adr:;;469 Springvale Rd;Glen Waverly;Victoria;3150;Australia
version:2.1
email;internet:brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au
title:Embedded Systems Design Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;-7584