Re: [gdb 19981224] Enable linking gdb against shared libbfd

>    From: Rainer Orth <ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
>    Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 20:19:40 +0100 (MET)
>
>    The following patch is a first shot at linking gdb 19981224 against a
>    shared libbfd (tried on IRIX 6.2).  It has a couple of shortcomings:

I have been using shared libbfd for binutils for a long time
on Linux. I just added "--enable-static=no --enable-shared".
I used it only because libbfd is quite big and there are many
programs in binutils linked against it.

However, the ABI of libbfd changes quite often. A system
wide libfd may not work very well. You may not use libbfd from
binutils 2.9.1 with gdb 19981224. If you are suggesting make
libbfd in gdb shared, I don't see any benefit to do so since
the shared libbfd may only be safely used with the gdb where
the libbfd comes from. Also on Linux, I make the whole gdb binary
static. It is very useful when you work on C libraries.

H.J.