[binutils-gdb] internal-error using '@' (repeat) operator on array of dynamic objects

*** TEST RESULTS FOR COMMIT 929b5ad40f70fbd5bdf37d30281a761d56c87b59 ***

Author: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
Branch: master
Commit: 929b5ad40f70fbd5bdf37d30281a761d56c87b59

internal-error using '@' (repeat) operator on array of dynamic objects

Using the following Ada declarations (the same as in
gdb.ada/dyn_stride.exp)...

      subtype Small_Type is Integer range L .. U;
      type Record_Type (I : Small_Type := L) is record
         S : String (1 .. I);
      end record;
      type Array_Type is array (Integer range <>) of Record_Type;

      A1 : Array_Type :=
        (1 => (I => U, S => (others => ASCII.NUL)),
         2 => (I => 1, S => "A"),
         3 => (I => 2, S => "AB"));

... where "L" and "U" are variables, trying to apply the repeat
operator to "A1(1)" yields to an internal error:

  | (gdb) print a1(1)@3
  | $5 = /[...]/gdbtypes.c:4883: internal-error: type* copy_type(const type*):
  | Assertion `TYPE_OBJFILE_OWNED (type)' failed.

What happens first is that the ada-lang module evaluated the "A1(1)"
sub-expression returning a structure where "I" (one of the fields
in that structure) has a type which is dynamic, because it is
a range type whose bounds are not statically known.

Next, we apply the repeat ('@') operator, which is done via
allocate_repeat_value, which creates an array type with the correct
bounds to associate to our value, by calling lookup_array_range_type:

  | struct type *
  | lookup_array_range_type (struct type *element_type,
  |                          LONGEST low_bound, LONGEST high_bound)
  | {
  |   struct gdbarch *gdbarch = get_type_arch (element_type);
  |   struct type *index_type = builtin_type (gdbarch)->builtin_int;
  |   struct type *range_type
  |     = create_static_range_type (NULL, index_type, low_bound, high_bound);
  |
  |   return create_array_type (NULL, element_type, range_type);
  | }

As we can see, this creates an array type whose index type is
always owned by the gdbarch. This is where the problem lies.

Next, we use that type to construct a struct value. That value
then gets passed to the valprint module, which then checks
whether our object is dynamic or not. And because field "I" above
had a dynamic range type, we end up determining by association
that the artificial repeat array itself is also dynamic. So
we attempt to resolve the type, which leads to trying to copying
that type. And because the artifical array created by
lookup_array_range_type has an index which is not objfile-owned,
we trip the assertion.

This patch fixes the issue by enhancing lookup_array_range_type
to create an index type which has the same owner as the element
type.

gdb/ChangeLog:

        * gdbtypes.c (lookup_array_range_type): Make sure the array's
        index type is objfile-owned if the element type is as well.

gdb/testsuite/ChangeLog:

        * testsuite/gdb.ada/dyn_stride.exp: Add "print a1(1)@3" test.