Sunday Project test results, gdb, 2002-03-29

This week, the 5.2 branch had no significant changes.

Mainline had no visible regressions or improvements in gdb.  It has one
new bug.

Mainline has about 200 new tests.  Most of the tests PASS in all
configurations.  The dump.exp tests for reloading arrays and structs
FAIL in all configurations.  I filed PR gdb/452 with a log file excerpt.

gdb.base/attach.exp also has a glitch: it does setup_xfail at the
end with no test.  The setup_xfail carries over to the next test script,
gdb.base/bitfields.exp, changing a PASS to an XPASS.  Daniel Jacobowitz
has fixed this already.

Michael C

. Summary

  . Test Matrix

    . Matrix

      target:   native
      host:     i686-pc-linux-gnulibc2.2%rh-7.2
      gdb:      5.1.1, gdb_5_2-branch%20020329, HEAD%20020329
      gcc:      2.95.3, vendor, 3.0.4, gcc-3_1-branch%20020329, HEAD%20020329
      glibc:    vendor
      goption:  -gdwarf-2, -gstabs+
      count:    30=1*1*3*5*1*2

    . Notes

      target and host names are gnu triples with extra information after
      a '%' delimiter.

      versions which start with a number are official releases or snapshots.
      versions named "vendor" are the vendor-supplied facility.
      versions named "HEAD" are the cvs HEAD (mainline).
      versions with any other name are cvs branches.
      cvs versions show the pull date after a '%' delimiter.

      gcc releases and snapshots are built with binutils 2.11.2

      gcc cvs versions are built with binutils HEAD with the same pull date.

  . libiberty

    All tests passed.

  . gdb

    . Tables

      http://www.shout.net/~mec/sunday/2002-03-29/index.html

    . Overview

      gdb 5.1.1:           0 build aborts, 0 test aborts, 402 attention lines
      gdb gdb_5_2-branch:  0 build aborts, 0 test aborts, 337 attention lines
      gdb HEAD:            0 build aborts, 0 test aborts, 286 attention lines

      an attention line is:
        error warning fail kfail unresolved untested unsupported
      an attention line is not:
        pass xpass xfail

    . Old bugs fixed

      None.

    . New bugs detected

      http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=gdb&cmd=view&pr=452
      New bug: gdb.base/dump.exp FAILS on restore tests

      These are new tests, so this is a new bug rather than a regression.

. Test protocol changes since last report

  I changed my invocation for the test suite.  I used to call "make check";
  now I call "runtest" directly with a lot of options.  This fits more
  nicely into my filing system.  I did before-and-after runs and found no
  significant changes.

  I tweaked the html code in the reports.  I changed the Difference
  Table filenames so that they no longer contain metacharacters such as
  "*" and "%".  This should make the Difference Tables accessible to
  Internet Explorer.  I also changed the configuration indexes from
  1-based to 0-based.

. Baseline software

  . host i686-pc-linux-gnu%rh-7.2

    make 3.79.1
    binutils 2.11.2
    gcc 3.0.4
    flex 2.5.4
    bison 1.33
    tcl 8.3.4
    expect 4.33.0
    dejagnu 1.4.2

    I am aware of binutils 2.12 but I have not deployed it yet.

. Analysis

  . libiberty

    . results

      . target native

        . host i686-pc-linux-gnu%rh-7.2

          binutils HEAD                         All 648 tests passed
          gcc gcc-3_1-branch                    All 648 tests passed
          gcc HEAD                              All 648 tests passed
          gdb gdb_5_2-branch                    All 648 tests passed
          gdb HEAD                              All 648 tests passed

  . gdb

    The last report was 2002-03-22.

      http://www.shout.net/~mec/sunday/2002-03-22/Analysis.txt

    Configuration numbers for the difference grids are in:

      http://www.shout.net/~mec/sunday/2002-03-29/Differences-compare-by-date-two.html

    Difference grid key:

      + gdb improved
      - gdb regressed
      * new test with good result
      _ new test with bad result
      , noise: result changed but gdb behavior did not

    Note: this week I changed configuration indexes from 1-based to 0-based.

    . 5.1.1

      No change.

    . gdb_5_2-branch

      . Difference Grid

        gdb.base/corefile.exp   ,10 ,11 ,12 ,13 ,14 ,15 ,16 ,17 ,18 ,19
        gdb.c++/annota2.exp         ,11     ,13         ,16 ,17

      . Noise

        . gdb.base/corefile.exp: -core=corefile
          gdb.base/corefile.exp: execfile -core=corefile
          gdb.base/corefile.exp: core-file command

          In these tests gdb shows the name of the executable file which
          generates the core file.  I changed my test suite invocation so
          that these names are shorter now, which makes the test suite
          marginally happier.

        . gdb.c++/annota2.exp: annotate-quit

          This test is unstable.  It generates different results on
          back-to-back runs.

    . gdb HEAD

      . Difference Grid

        gdb.base/corefile.exp   ,10 ,11 ,12 ,13 ,14 ,15 ,16 ,17 ,18 ,19

	gdb.base/attach.exp     *20 *21 *22 *23 *24 *25 *26 *27 *28 *29
	gdb.base/bitfields.exp  ,20 ,21 ,22 ,23 ,24 ,25 ,26 ,27 ,28 ,29
	gdb.base/default.exp    *20 *21 *22 *23 *24 *25 *26 *27 *28 *29
	gdb.base/dump.exp       _20 _21 _22 _23 _24 _25 _26 _27 _28 _29
	gdb.base/help.exp       *20 *21 *22 *23 *24 *25 *26 *27 *28 *29
	gdb.c++/annota2.exp:            ,22 ,23 ,24

      . New test with good result

	. gdb.base/attach.exp

	  This test script used to be enabled only for target hppa*-*-hpux*.
	  It has been enabled has been enabled for all natives.
	  All of the tests PASS in all configurations.

	  There is a glitch at the end: the script has a dangling
	  setup_xfail with no test.  This spills over and perturbs the
	  first test of the next script.

	. gdb.base/default.exp

	  New tests, all PASS in all configurations.

        . gdb.base/dump.exp: reload array as memory, intel hex
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload array as memory, srec
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload array as memory, tekhex
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload array as value, intel hex
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload array as value, srec
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload array as value, tekhex
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload struct as memory, intel hex
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload struct as memory, srec
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload struct as memory, tekhex
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload struct as value, intel hex
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload struct as value, srec
	  gdb.base/dump.exp: reload struct as value, tekhex

	  These are new tests.  They FAIL in all configurations.
	  See PR gdb/452.

	. gdb.base/help.exp

	  New tests, all PASS in all configurations.

      . Noise

	. gdb.base/bitfields.exp: print flags
	  PASS -> XPASS

	  This is the first test of the first script after
	  gdb.base/attach.exp.	This result has been perturbed by a
	  dangling setup_xfail in gdb.base/attach.exp.

	. gdb.base/corefile.exp

	  Same phenomenon as the 5.2 branch.