Re: New GDB snapshot available

   Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:44:11 +0100 (CET)
   From: Vincent Renardias <vincent@ldsol.com>

   I'm not sure if there's still any Linux distribution shipping the verbatim
   GDB without any other patch.

Probably not.  I think we can reduce the discrepancy over time, and
this is a good goal, but it will also take some concentrated effort by
a bunch of people.  Not only are there technical issues to resolve,
but some of the GDB changes in Linux distributions are known not to
have copyright assignments, which means that the contributors may not
have had the legal right to add their changes.  While the younger
generation may not care, I was around when MIT broadcast to all the
world, saying that everybody had to give back their copies of Macsyma
(this was one of the incidents that precipitated the GNU project).  It
is my intention that this never be allowed to happen to GDB.

							Stan