problems with symbol format elf32-sparc on solaris 2.5.1

Hi,

I can't debug cores created by programs using threads with my version of
gdb (4.16).
When starting gdb with such a core file I get the following error :

"./core" is not a core dump: File format not recognized

To solve this problem I got the tip to use the beta version of gdb
located on Your
ftp server under ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/private/gdb/gdb-4.16.85.tar.gz.
With the commands './configure;make' I was able to build an executable
on my
Solaris 2.5.1 machine (SPARCstation 4). But when starting the new made
debugger
with any core file I only receive the following message from gdb :

I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that. Symbol format 'elf32-sparc' unknown.
No display number 0.
Disabling display 0 to avoid infinite recursion.

GDB can't read core files on this machine.

So what was my mistake when building gdb. Or is there any other reason
why gdb
doesn't work on my machine ?

I am looking forward getting an answer from You

Thomas