Re: remote/2200: Unable to work with targets not supporting 'P' packets

The following reply was made to PR remote/2200; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
To: trevor@pp.org.pl
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: remote/2200: Unable to work with targets not supporting 'P' packets
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:57:46 -0500

 On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 09:03:11PM -0000, trevor@pp.org.pl wrote:
 > Register fetch in func. remote_fetch_registers()  in the first
 > approach is to be done through 'p' packet, and if that fails, the 'p'
 > packet is marked as unsupported. But it doesn't work, because
 > fetch_register_using_p throws exception when fails and the support is
 > never marked as disabled.

 That doesn't sound right.  It doesn't throw an exception if 'p' is not
 supported, only if the buffer is corrupt:

   while (p[0] != 0)
     {
       if (p[1] == 0)
         {
           error (_("fetch_register_using_p: early buf termination"));
           return 0;
         }

 Could you provide a "set debug remote 1" log of whatever is not working
 for you?

 Gdbserver does not support p/P, so I know that this works.

 --
 Daniel Jacobowitz
 CodeSourcery