Re: gdb/2078: GNU/Linux, x86, catchpoint hit fork returns wrongpid on heavy load

The following reply was made to PR gdb/2078; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus@bluegap.ch>
To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/2078: GNU/Linux, x86, catchpoint hit fork returns wrong
	pid on heavy load
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 19:14:38 +0100

 On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 09:07 -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
 > That doesn't make any sense.  Please show a session transcript and
 > test case.

 Sorry if I was unclear. My problem was that gdb seemed to report wrong
 process ids of forked children. Since my debugging target also reports
 the pid of the newly forked child I noticed a difference in the numbers.

 Anyway, I have just created a testcase involving a fork bomb and see
 there: everything works fine! I'm puzzled. I will recheck to see what
 else could have gone wrong. But most probably I made a mistake. Sorry
 for the noise.

 > Of course, you can't attach another GDB to the PIDs gdb reports!  When
 > it reports them, it's still attached to them.

 Even if 'detach-on-fork' is on? That explains the ptrace error I got,
 thank you for clarification of this related problem.

 Regards

 Markus