threads/1792: ptrace / thread_db_get_info errors when debugging rhythmbox

>Number:         1792
>Category:       threads
>Synopsis:       ptrace / thread_db_get_info errors when debugging rhythmbox
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          maintenance
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Oct 15 14:28:06 UTC 2004
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     lool+redhat@via.ecp.fr
>Release:        6.1-3 (Debian), or CVS
 It's quite difficult to debug the crasing of rhythmbox when it exits
 because gdb has huge problems following the threads created by
 rhythmbox.  Typically, when rhythmox exits, I get things like:
 (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...(no
 debugging symbols found)...[New Thread 1133976496 (LWP 24679)]
 [Thread 1133976496 (LWP 24679) exited]
 [Thread 1116904368 (zombie) exited]
 [Thread 1108515760 (LWP 24674) exited]
 [Thread 1125292976 (zombie) exited]
 ptrace: No such process.
 thread_db_get_info: cannot get thread info: generic error
 (gdb) run
 The program being debugged has been started already.
 Start it from the beginning? (y or n) y

 thread_db_get_info: cannot get thread info: generic error
 (gdb) The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y
 Quitting: thread_db_get_info: cannot get thread info: generic error
 bee%

 Today, for the first time, I could run rhythmbox TWICE from within gdb
 without gdb deciding it was enough!  Usually, 99% of the time, gdb
 can't handle the death if rhythmbox.

 I've tried with CVS too, but got the same results.

 This seems close to #1706 to me, but I can not reproduce with the attached thread.c in this bug report.

 This is Debian bug http://bugs.debian.org/276596

   Regards,

--
Loic Minier
>How-To-Repeat:
Launch rhythmbox from within gdb, play some music :), exit.  It works 90% of the time, but not always.  Probably a race condition.  Gdb won't start rhythmbox again after errors.