Re: c++/1512: no canonical way to output names of C++ types

The following reply was made to PR c++/1512; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
To: carlton@bactrian.org
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: c++/1512: no canonical way to output names of C++ types
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:12:13 -0500

 On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 06:26:13PM -0000, carlton@bactrian.org wrote:

 > >Number:         1512
 > >Category:       c++
 > >Synopsis:       no canonical way to output names of C++ types
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       serious
 > >Responsible:    unassigned
 > >State:          open
 > >Class:          change-request
 > >Submitter-Id:   net
 > >Arrival-Date:   Wed Jan 14 18:28:00 UTC 2004
 > >Closed-Date:
 > >Last-Modified:
 > >Originator:     carlton@bactrian.org
 > >Release:        2004-01-14-cvs
 > We currently don't have any canonical way to output
 > names of C++ types.  E.g. const char * vs.
 > char const *; more subtleties arise when dealing with
 > templates.
 >
 > This is, of course, less important than the fact that
 > we don't know how to recognize different names
 > of types as equivalent when doing input, but it's
 > still unfortunate.

 Fixes for this are in progress on drow-cplus-branch.  All the necessary
 code is there, it just needs to be hooked up :)  I think I've gotten
 derailed on some other problems first, though.  The basic problem is
 that we want to canonicalize the names before adding them to the symbol
 table, and that increases startup time.  I'm looking for ways to shave
 startup time elsewhere.  I have a few ideas.

 --
 Daniel Jacobowitz