Re: gdb/656: gdb_realpath crashes on GNU/Hurd

The following reply was made to PR gdb/656; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To: cagney@redhat.com, gdb-prs@sources.redhat.com,
	nobody@sources.redhat.com, gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/656: gdb_realpath crashes on GNU/Hurd
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:01:07 +0100

 On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 05:22:41PM -0000, cagney@redhat.com wrote:
 >     yet another patch committed to 5.3 and mainline.
 >     The code now tries:
 >
 >     - realpath() with constant buffer
 >     - canonicalize file name() [sp]
 >     - realpath() with dynamic buffer
 >     - xstrdup()
 >
 >     So the nasty evil realpath() with a dynamic buffer is moved to after canonicalize file name().
 >
 > http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=656

 I looked at the code, it appears to be fine now, thanks!

 We reported the defect of realpath to the Austin Group, and they settled on
 allowing that a system might allocate a buffer dynamically if the buffer argument
 is a null pointer.  The GNU C library allows this for a long time now, so
 you might want to add an autoconf check for that, too, and use it as a
 replacement for canonicalize_file_name on systems which don't have it.

 Thanks,
 Marcus

 Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
 http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/