Re: gdb/475: Command to force abort when internal error ...

The following reply was made to PR gdb/475; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com>
To: nobody@sources.redhat.com, ac131313@redhat.com,
	gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/475: Command to force abort when internal error ...
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:08:02 -0400

 http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=475

 See:
 http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2002-08/msg00166.html

 Hello,

 I'd like to propose some new set show options:

 maint set|show internal-error|internal-warning quit|corefile yes|no|auto

 When GDB reports an internal problem (error or warning) it gives the
 user the oportunity to either:

 - quit GDB
 - drop a core file

 The above would let the user override the default (auto) of prompting
 the user.  The user could specify that GDB should always/never quit /
 drop a core file (mutter something about giving the user too much rope :-).

 Rationale:

 I think users have encountered situtations where, while GDB is
 constantly reporting internal errors or warnings, it is otherwize
 useable.  This, I believe, most often occures in the symbol table reader
 where recovery is often possible.

 Letting the user override the internal error/warning behavour would let
 them at least use GDB.

 The converse (quit, dump core) is also useful.  The current testsuite
 tends to hang when GDB detects an internal error and tries to prompt for
 what to do next :-(

 thoughts?
 Andrew