gdb/451: Backtrace causes GDB to hang

>Number:         451
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       Backtrace causes GDB to hang
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Mar 26 07:58:00 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     mckennad@esatclear.ie
>Release:        unknown-1.0
I have a problem where if I try to do a backtrace under gdb that it prints out
the following message continuously :

0x000080a2 in __change_mode ().

I came across this problem  using Insight. I would open the file , set the target
and run the program as normally. All other features worked normally but once
I opened the stack window it would cause Insight to hang. If I opened the stack
window before loading the program gdb would hang wile loading.

I then tried a similar procedure using vanilla GDB. I would open the file as
normal using file xxxxx, set the target using target sim, load the program,
load xxxxx, set a breakpoint ,b7, run the program and do a backtrace. It is
here that the above message appeared. I killed gdb after it reached 6000 repetitions.

The setup I am using is as follows:
cygwin 1.10.0
binutils 1.12.0
gcc 3.0.4
gdb/insight 5.1.1

binutils/gcc/gdb are configured for arm-elf
Also same problem associated with configuration for arm-thumb-elf

I have included the c,elf and sample session files.

Also under Insight when the debug window was open, Ctrl F11, all entries should
in green prior to it hanging and the last entry displayed was :
[srcBar::_set_runstop]runnning
which was also in green.