gdb/416: Not able to single step in gdb when ALARM signal is used by threads

>Number:         416
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       Not able to single step in gdb when ALARM signal is used by threads
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Mar 13 15:48:00 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Parag Bhide
>Release:        GDB 5.0rh-5 on Linux 7.1
I have a program that is using pthreads. One of the threads is using ALARM signal. When I try to debug this program using gdb. After setting a break point and "run", gdb stops working when the break point is hit and I try to single step, with the following error messages,

Received Alarm clock in LWP 2617 while waiting for SIGSTOP.
Using pending wait status for LWP 2617.
Received Alarm clock in LWP 2617 while waiting for SIGSTOP.
Using pending wait status for LWP 2617.
Received Alarm clock in LWP 2617 while waiting for SIGSTOP.
Using pending wait status for LWP 2617.
ptrace: No such process.