gdb/71: problem with shared library : cannot set breakpoint -2

>Number:         71
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       problem with shared library : cannot set breakpoint -2
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Jun 29 16:28:00 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     wim delvaux
>Release:        5.0
I heavily use and set breakpoints in shared libraries.
When the application terminates normally (just plain exitting)
I sometimes (often) have the problem that I cannot rerun
then application.
Gdb shows the following message
warning: Cannot insert breakpoint -2:
Cannot access memory at address 0x400a37d0
The only solution is either to exit GDB or restart (from ddd) which in both
cases causes me to loose any breakpoints and other info

Ths problem occurs NOT always but frequent enough to be very annoying.

I have applied the emergency patch to set breakpoints in libraries issued 2 days after
general release of 5.0

This problem has been reported through gdb.bug too but to no
avail.
>How-To-Repeat:
I can repeat this, glad to use test software if need be