This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH] btrace: diagnose "record btrace pt" without libipt
- From: Pedro Alves <palves at redhat dot com>
- To: "Metzger, Markus T" <markus dot t dot metzger at intel dot com>
- Cc: "gdb-patches at sourceware dot org" <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 09:42:57 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] btrace: diagnose "record btrace pt" without libipt
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1448011026-4192-1-git-send-email-markus dot t dot metzger at intel dot com> <564F0591 dot 3020006 at redhat dot com> <A78C989F6D9628469189715575E55B23332283DF at IRSMSX104 dot ger dot corp dot intel dot com> <564F1C3D dot 1040709 at redhat dot com> <A78C989F6D9628469189715575E55B233322847F at IRSMSX104 dot ger dot corp dot intel dot com> <5655E3F6 dot 3070002 at redhat dot com> <A78C989F6D9628469189715575E55B233322F94F at IRSMSX104 dot ger dot corp dot intel dot com>
On 11/26/2015 07:12 AM, Metzger, Markus T wrote:
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pedro Alves [mailto:email@example.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 5:38 PM
> To: Metzger, Markus T <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Cc: email@example.com
> Subject: Re: [PATCH] btrace: diagnose "record btrace pt" without libipt
>> It would be nice if GDB could detect that record btrace is already
>> enabled and push the record-btrace target automatically. I guess this
>> requires some indication about the record status from gdbserver. Is
>> there some other target that does this automatic push on (re-)connect that I could use as reference?
> E.g., linux-thread-db.c pushes itself from a new_objfile observer (thread_db_new_objfile), and the spu multiarch target pushes itself from an inferior_created observer (spu_multiarch_inferior_created).
> Thanks. I'll look into those examples. It'll take a bit but I don't think this is urgent.
Certainly not urgent.
> Are you OK to push the patch to avoid the internal error and handle the re-connect
> case in a separate series?
> That patch might make sense for 7.10.1, as well. OK to push onto the 7.10 branch?
OK. In that case, as per standard procedure, please file a PR and
list it the 7.10 release wiki page.