This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Release 2.24
- From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Cc: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>, <binutils at sourceware dot org>, <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:51:43 +0000
- Subject: Re: Release 2.24
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <2741C968-721F-46E9-A2BA-E4B0F64C444B at adacore dot com> <BB32BE2A-A3CC-494C-9FB2-CFD322F49EA3 at adacore dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1309182134580 dot 4379 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk> <20130918213245 dot GO3132 at adacore dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1309182238430 dot 4379 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk>
On Wed, 18 Sep 2013, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> > > On the MIPS target we've switched PLT formats produced by LD for MIPS16
> > > and microMIPS binaries and for correct frame unwinding GDB has to
> > > understand them. Otherwise it'll fail in odd ways, e.g. when stepping
> > > over a function called via PLT. Of course all code required is there in
> > > our shared repository, it's just a matter of making the releases in the
> > > right order so that ordinary developers have a version of GDB to upgrade
> > > to available if needed.
> > Can you patch gdb-7.6 to understand the new format as well as
> > the old one with a patch that could be deemed safe? Perhaps it would
> > make sense to make a 7.6.2 release just for MIPS.
> That sounds like a plan, thanks, and should be doable with a reasonable
> effort -- the changes really needed by GDB are the addition of
> _bfd_mips_elf_get_synthetic_symtab to bfd/elfxx-mips.c, its wiring in
> bfd/elf32-mips.c, and then small self-contained pieces in opcodes/ and of
> course gdb/. I'll have a look at it and let you know when I'm ready with
> a backport.
I see 2.24 is about to roll out, so I'll try to find some time this week
to make the necessary adjustments for a matching GDB 7.6.2 maintenance
release -- assuming as per your recent statement, that making 7.7 can take
a while yet.