This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH] DWARF support for .debug_loc offsets
- From: Jim Blandy <jimb at redhat dot com>
- To: Petr Sorfa <petrs at caldera dot com>
- Cc: "gdb-patches at sources dot redhat dot com" <gdb-patches at sources dot redhat dot com>
- Date: 11 Jul 2002 12:57:28 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] DWARF support for .debug_loc offsets
- References: <3D2DB435.AC2C6DA0@caldera.com>
Petr Sorfa <email@example.com> writes:
> This patch provides support for offsets into .debug_loc.
> The patch does not include .debug_loc support in read_tag_string_type()
> as the DW_AT_string_length attribute is currently being misused by GCC
> (it uses it to hold the length, rather than the location to the length)
> and GDB supports the incorrect form.
> There is a second part of this patch which is dependent on FORTRAN95
> support of modules and will be released later.
I'm confused. If (say) a DW_AT_frame_base attribute's value uses
DW_FORM_data4 or DW_FORM_data8, then that data is the offset in the
.debug_loc section of a location list describing how to find the
object at various points in the code. But your code seems to assume
that the data in the .debug_loc section is simply the address of the
Having location list support would be great, but if we can get
Daniel's LOC_COMPUTED patch committed, adding location list support
will be very simple.