Re: Changes

Rick Moseley wrote:

Ditto. I will bring it up again when the time is right.

Agreed too. The ability to catch a task as it is abnormally terminating and bring up the debugger is a powerful thing IMHO. I don't see any need here to involve another app(Systemtap has been mentioned) to perform this feature. I don't remember this being too difficult in Frysk(although I am not the one that implemented it.)

The (three) Frysk state machines are what catches that, and that is a considerable amount of complex code. Modelling a thread is delicate, complex and very fuzzy. Take a look at LinuxWaitBuilder and how it has to do backflips to catch out of order wait notifications. But I think the issue is not catching a thread as it spawns another - we will have to have that. That's in the goals. Follow fork, follow clone - these are a intrinsic to the scalability goal of working with many threads (imho ;))

It's all the other always-on, low-cost monitoring goals that Systemtap do now I think are being excluded.

Regards

Phil