Re: meeting 2008-03-19 - version numbers

b) move to regular (monthly?) patch-level releases; e.g., 0.8.1, 0.8.2, ...
I've no objections to this. But:

- What release schedule? Weekly? Monthly?

I propose: - monthly releases with news items. - We create a NEWS file that we dump every release.

- How will we be smoke testing the results to ensure sanity (ie the last patch pushed screwed some stuff up). Our test cases can catch a lot of this? What is the release checklist?

We make sure all the tests pass, and add tests are user report problems.
We can also push a package to updates testing test it for a week then move it. Although I personally prefer the smoke test it and get it out there ASAP approach.

- Because we are moving to a more formal release deadline, how do development practices change, if at all?

I dont know. Depends on what is motivating this change and what options we have to solve it.

- What is our release matrix. Fedora 8 now, and Rawhide. But will it then be F8, F9 and rawhide all in sync? Will the release be to rawhide first, then a monthly push from rawhide to Fedora *?

We are a young project so we want to stay agile as much as possible. So I suggest we release to rawhide and the latest fedora.

- How can we detect regressions in stability and features

Tests, and users(frysk team ? :))