Re: my notes from the tracing workshop

[sorry missed this e-mail]

William Cohen wrote:
Andrew Cagney wrote:

Visualization.

Many visualization tools were presented (if I see another useless full-screen snap-shot in a slide I'll scream), most built on eclipse, but a few were not. While this is a very crowded market, there seems, in mnsho, to still be a need for clear simple visualization tools backed by a databse.

The quote of the day, in describing eclipse, has to be "icon diarrhea".

Were the tools showing more than just a simple time line of logs? Having just a time-line plot of when things happen is not that useful. For example, LTT had some time-line graphing of events. There is either too much data or too little data on the screen . When showing a signficant portion the time line there is a massive clutter of items in the time line in addition to the few events you are interested in. When zooming in one only sees the single event, not the other interesting event(s). Really want visualization tools declutter and filter out as much as possible from the graphics.

Yes,

- two tools demonstrated some form of 3d visualization (I know there were at least two as that each project was doing their own SWT bindings to OpenGL came up as a topic :-) taking a high level view. For instance a 3d graph of events vs process over time.

- tptp demonstrated (the 10 minute unintended demo was far more useful than the slides) zomming in/out using drag select to give that high-level view and then zoom in

Typically the UI was using SQL queries to extract/filter the data before visualizing it.

Andrew