Re: my notes from the tracing workshop

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
[...]
"DB"
There was a strong consensus that the "internal" format of the log
data needed to be a fast light weight database; two vendors were using
sqlite for instance (TPTP the eclipse tool didn't but I suspect will
shortly). [...]

This seems rather wacky. If they're talking about gigabytes of trace traffic, a little wee in-memory database is a reach. If you need to do declarative querying, then you need a real database with indexes and whatnot. If you just need a big ass array, use BerkeleyDB. If you just want strongly typed flat data on disk, go XML. I wish I'd been there - perhaps my perceptions could have been falsified.

Right, SqLite is a little wee in-process database; it provides a mechanism for powerful queries without the overhead of a server implementation. Wind River presented performance numbers supporting the approaches usability; in particular timing such as populating the database from trace logs. While that cost is real, it is outweighed by the benefit of being able to select arbitrary data-sets for visualization.

For system tap, provided the on-disk raw trace data format is well defined, it will be possible to load it into SQL. BTW, while the on-disk format could be XML, there was a general feeling that XML is just too verbose and more compact formats intermediate forms were needed.

Can I recommend looking through the relevant slides.

[...] What's the status of SystemTAP on the ARM? [...]

I haven't run it personally, but others have (Eugene Teo for the Nokia
N800). One difficulty appears to be finding a big enough ARM box to
self-host the kernel module build process, or else cross-compiling and
cross-running.
Cool, ARM support for libunwind is currently being integrated.

Andrew