Re: enabling shared builds

Andrew Cagney wrote:
There are several ways to address this; and before making this change I think we should consider our options:

- wire build RPATH into binaries
Doesn't work: the installed binary could load incorrect build-tree solibs and vice versa

yuck.

- rely on the developers to provide the path explicitly: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<path-to-all-solibs> ./frysk-core/frysk/bindir/fhpd (chance of us getting that right? 0 :-)

ugh

- provide a wrapper script that sets the environment vis: ./BuildTree ./frysk-core/frysk/bindir/fhpd

Feasible, but a binary should just "work" without lots of wrappers.

- have 'TestRunner' export LD_LIBRARY_PATH before invoking any utilities

Don't like.

- create two versions of the binary; one for build-tree and one for install tree

Don't like.

- switch to install-tree testing
Would mean breaking configure convention and set --prefix=. On the other hand it would mean only testing one way.
IMO should be install tree testing anyway, as it simulates the environment when Frysk is deployed much more accurately. +1 for this way,

Regards

Phil