Re: fhpd vs RuntimeExceptions

Mark Wielaard wrote:

By using different exception types, so a higher level can distinquish between a "recoverable" warning and a "unrecoverable" error.

Take this example. I manufactured this warning to happen, but all the message is telling the user is that it cannot read at the peek() address given. It's not an error, just a cannot do. But the huge ugly backtrace that follows is not very useful.

(fhpd) core /home/pmuldoon/core.12463 /bin/bash
Internal debugger error: peek() at address 6992f8 cannot be found in metadata table.
java.lang.RuntimeException: peek() at address 6992f8 cannot be found in metadata table.
at frysk.proc.dead.CorefileByteBuffer.peek(fhpd)
at inua.eio.ByteBuffer.peek(fhpd)
at inua.eio.ByteBuffer.peekFully(fhpd)
at inua.eio.ByteBuffer.peekLittle(fhpd)
at inua.eio.ByteBuffer.peekLittle(fhpd)
at inua.eio.ByteOrdered$2.peekULong(fhpd)
at inua.eio.ByteBuffer.getULong(fhpd)
at inua.eio.WordSized$3.getUWord(fhpd)
at inua.eio.ByteBuffer.getUWord(fhpd)
at frysk.proc.dead.LinuxProc.sendrecMaps(fhpd)
at frysk.proc.Proc.getMaps(fhpd)
at frysk.dwfl.DwflFactory.updateDwfl(fhpd)
at frysk.dwfl.DwflCache.getDwfl(fhpd)
at frysk.debuginfo.DebugInfoFrame.getScopes(fhpd)
at frysk.debuginfo.DebugInfoStackFactory.createVirtualStackTrace(fhpd)
at frysk.hpd.CoreCommand.interpret(fhpd)
at frysk.hpd.ParameterizedCommand.interpret(fhpd)
at frysk.hpd.MultiLevelCommand.interpret(fhpd)
at frysk.hpd.CLI.execCommand(fhpd)
at frysk.bindir.fhpd.main(fhpd)

If this is the way forward, I'll have to gobble exceptions locally in CoreCommand, and just deal with them locally.

Yes, I think that is the way forward.

Er, no. We're not going to make all commands gobble all exceptions locally. It's a loosing battle. And we've far more important battles to be focused on right now.

 Something terribly failed. And
just passing the "address 6992f8 cannot be found in metadata table."
message to the user is clearly not very helpful if the user just wanted
to run a specific command. Only the command knows if this is something
fatal or not and should catch it at the appropriate level and report
what the exact action was that was attempted and which structure
couldn't be created because of the error.

Cheers,

Mark