Re: Again the build is broken :(

Elena Zannoni wrote:
Sure, the two things you mention are not mutually exclusive.
However there is a cost to identifying broken builds too, and it seems that Mark is drawing the
short straw frequently, since he is usually the first to correct said oversights. It takes away some
of his time from development.
Quite frequently, during the American day, we encounter and quick fix similar issues (just today there was another "oops"), and we're successfully and co-operatively managing these hiccups through our IRC chatter and/or through bug reports and commits.

However, we do need to be careful. Both Pearly and Mark pick up what I'll call the night shift (from my tz pov) and so occasionally might be first to encounter a problem also encountered by this build system. There I think the most important thing is for us to be careful that we don't message an expectation that Pearly and/or Mark are some how expected to down-tools and focus all energies on getting it fixed. As with us during the day, back-date the check-out for a few hours 'til things are resolved; for mark using mecurial, this is trivial.

Can I suggest:

- Moving the build farm's time to run just before US dawn so results are better timed for us waking up; or better ...

- setting up a test system that makes available results from individual commits and not fuzzy dates

- accept that an occasional build failure in the build farm does not require an immediate post about the sky falling; I for instance would only be concerned if the build failed consistently and for an identical reason across two work days; and then my first response is still going to be to fix it.

Andrew

I haven't suggested that you or anybody checks every combination
before checking stuff in. What I have suggested is that, like we used to do once upon a time, we
stick with as few development platforms as we can get away with in order to minimize the
oversights. So if the platforms supported are FC6 and F7, let's stick with those and make
everybody's life easier. If somebody wants to add FC5 to the test grid, please do so and contribute
the tests results so that they can be uploaded. Any takers?