Re: Disassembly source buffer and libopcodes

Hi Elena,

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 10:25 -0400, Elena Zannoni wrote:
> > Since Fedora did a license audit and found we were linking in libopcodes
> > from binutils which is under GPL, but we distribute Frysk under GPL +
> > Exception, automatic libopcode usage has been disabled (you need to
> > configure --with-libopcodes to get it).
>
> Thanks for discussing this on the mailing list, can you explain a bit
> more about it?
> I wasn't aware of the audit, is this a RH thing? or a fedora thing? Does
> it impact frysk in other ways?

It is a Fedora thing. They are cleaning up the package license tags:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/LicenseTag
This means all packages are audited now. The main Frysk license is GPL +
Exception so we can link with non-gpl compatible code like eclipse. One
of the maintainers noticed that we were using binutils (libopcodes)
which is GPL-only though, so cannot be used in a larger work with EPL
code.

> I assume this is reason for the change Andrew made on
> August 16?
> http://sourceware.org/ml/frysk-cvs/2007-q3/msg00648.html
>
> Is there any public discussion of the audit?

fedora-devel and fedora-maintainers has lots, but those are super busy
lists: http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/

This particular issue came up here first I believe:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-August/msg00264.html

Cheers,

Mark