Re: Problem with getExe and testInsertedBreakpoint

Hi Roland,

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 12:03 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Will it be possible for frysk to also support that in the Fedora 8
> > timeframe?
>
> I intend to have some libdwfl additions for build-id before F8.
> Those will make it very easy to do something in Frysk.

That would make it easy to fixup the core file consumer part in frysk
indeed. But we would still need to make sure that when we produce core
files we also include the BuildID.

> > OK, and I assume the same would be true for any code segments that were
> > altered through ptrace poke?
>
> Correct.  The kernel's test is on its internal VM data structures, so it
> gets any private file mapping that has had some COW happen.

Nice to know.
Somewhat related, is there some way to revert this?
In the case of inserting low-level breakpoints all we really do is
setting one instruction and then later resetting the original
instruction. Is there any way to make the kernel know that the page can
be remerged again because all writes to it have been reversed?

Cheers,

Mark