Re: frysk-cvs patch tuning

Andrew Cagney wrote:

Phil Muldoon wrote:
Is it possible to tune frysk-cvs mailing list to include patches, and not links to patches? I find this list very useful, and read the list/patches everyday. but I hate the mass clicking on links. It would make reply-to questions on some code more context-friendly if the patch part is included in the email.

Well, if we switched from CVS then this would be a non-issue. I wonder if that is a better solution. (Would certainly have made my life this morning easier :-)

I've been playing with Mercurial lately, and I did an import of the Frysk CVS head using Tailor. I was not able to import any branches or any change-set information which was disappointing. That might be a lack of information on my part. Or the wrong conversion tool. Others might have more luck.

But from an experimental viewpoint, I really, really did like the concept of Mercurial and distributed version control. There are other similar systems (GIT comes to mind). I really like the idea of having your own control of your own local repository, pull and pushing change-sets from a "main" repository, and so on. And it would help tremendously in branches (not to mention diffs, patch review and so on).

I don't have an outward facing machine so this is all locally done on my machine. But it after taking a walk away from CVS, I'm not keen to go back ;)

Regards

Phil