Re: Leaving visible breakpoints in memory/core (Was: Breakpoint stepping)

Hi Phil,

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 09:24 -0500, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> The second question speaks to a Frysk mechanics question, if we do
> remove all the bits, then dump core, can we replace them exactly as they
> were before? I'd like to say yes, but I get the nagging feeling this
> isn't so? What do others think?

Unless you record them somewhere you won't be able to reinsert them. I
personally don't think you should record them and try to reinsert them
when creating a core file through fcore because I think that the user
requesting the core file to be created from frysk is interested in the
original code.

But if you really wanted to then you could at least get the breakpoints
instructions that frysk-core inserted from BreakpointAddresses (which I
will soon extend with a handy getAllAdresses() method for fixing bug
#4761), and then you can get the actual breakpoint instruction bytes
used from the relevant Isa getBreakpointInstruction(). This is probably
too low level though. And since you cannot guarantee that the created
core file is read back through frysk (someone could be using gdb!) I
don't know where you would actually put this information or how you
would make all consumers know about both the original bytes and the
breakpoint instructions in the image.

Cheers,

Mark