  3.
     (fhpd) where
  4.
     #0 0x006a58d0 in _start ()

I'm surprised it is still in _start.

  1.
     (fhpd) break @funit-rt-varchange.c@52
  2.
     breakpoint 0
  3.
     (fhpd) go
  4.
     (fhpd) Breakpoint 0 @funit-rt-varchange.c@52
  5.
     where
  6.
     #0 0x006a58d0 in _start ()

A guess is that something is trying to be more efficient by caching locally instead of leaving it to a lower level. This often happens when the LHS with refresh is fighting the RHS using on-demand. I'd suggest a step sideways here and remove all caching for now; do everything on-demand.

  1.
     (fhpd) display x
  2.
     1: x = <unavailable>
  3.
     (fhpd)

Previously:
as above...but later
frysk.cli.hpd.CLI.refreshSymtab -> frysk.debuginfo.DebugInfo.refresh ->
frysk.debuginfo.DebugInfoEvaluator.refreshCurrentFrame ->
-> frysk.stack.StackFactory.createFrame

Looks like it will be necessary to either delay the setup of frame or
resurrect some form of the refresh machinery.