Re: Leaving visible breakpoints in memory/core (Was: Breakpoint stepping)

Mark Wielaard wrote:
Hi Phil,
After thinking about it a bit more and some off-list chatter I think
there are 2 scenarios here. 1) Having our inserted breakpoints show up
in memory views as used in frysk. 2) Inserted breakpoints show up in
core dumps of programs we are analyzing. It is probably not worth it to
worry about 2) since as you say the user has deeper troubles then. And
if they want to analyse the actual core file later on it is probably
even more fair to make sure the breakpoints are still in the core file
so they have a real picture of what went wrong (it could even have been
frysk's fault!)

Well I think in the kernel dumping core there is nothing to be done with 2) other than just let it happen. I just wonder if the entry-point of the program being rewritten by Frysk in this scenario will cause confusion. In the case of fcore, we can always strip all this stuff beforehand, dump the core, and then put it all back. But in the case of gcore and google's coredumper that won't be the case. A process has no idea when a userland program like gcore/fcore is creating a coredump of it.

However until there is a better place to store this stuff other than at the entry-point address, then I guess the question it sort of moot.

Regards

Phil
But 1) is a problem since it would distort the view of the user while
using frysk. So there is now bug #4761 and it is on my TODO list to
create a memory view that the "non-breakpoint aware" parts of Frysk will
use for memory inspection. The use case is to have the fhpd or frysk-gui
insert a breakpoint, stop at it, and let the user inspect the code
instructions around the breakpoint. This should not show traces of the
breakpoint even though frysk might still have it inserted.

Cheers,

Mark