frysk.rt.SteppingEngine poking at a task's blocker list?

Tim, Mike,

I noticed this in frysk.rt.SteppingEngine:

/**
* Unblock a task so that, from the point of view of the stepping
* engine, execution can continue. For now this unblocks
* instruction observers and code observers for breakpoints, but
* ultimately I (timoore) think it should unblock all blockers.
*/
public boolean continueForStepping(Task task, boolean unblockStepper) {
if (unblockStepper) {
task.requestUnblock(this.steppingObserver);
}
TaskObserver[] blockers = (TaskObserver [])task.getBlockers().clone();
for (int j = 0; j < blockers.length; j++) {
// One of ours?
if (blockers[j] instanceof Breakpoint) {
task.requestUnblock(blockers[j]);
} else {
// Some blocker that we don't know about
// System.out.println("Unknown blocker " + blockers[j].toString());
// return false;
}
}
return true;
}

I'm not sure what is happening here, but the underlying code should operate as:
-> process hits a breakpoint instruction
-> all low-level CodeObservers fire
-> all corresponding high-level Breakpoint observers fire
-> Breakpoint observers each notify Stepping engine to stop (accompanied by corresponding low-level CodeObserver doing the block)
This will leave the SteppingEngine with a full list of CodeObservers to unblock without needing to poke around an assumed live task's internal state.

The flexibility of this approach also lets us write custom high-level breakpoint observers, in the monitor say, that can be implemented using just the Breakpoint and its shared-library Manager, and not have to worry about the stepping engine at all.

Andrew

PS: And it prevents me moving this blockers stuff into frysk.proc.live :-( :-)