Re: Many new test failures (execvp: Too many open files)

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 10:23 -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > On my Fedora 7 x86 machine (2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 SMP) I am suddenly seeing
> > lots and lots of new test failures/errors. Lots mention "execvp: Too
> > many open files", I am not seeing this on my x86_64 Fedora Core 6 setup.
> > And they only started to massively fail today it seems (although on irc
> > some people say they saw them already earlier this week). Anyone know
> > what that is about?
> >
> I'm guessing this wasn't a scratch build.

Of course it was a scratch build, otherwise I would not reported it :)
I always do a scratch build when doing any cvs update because our build
system doesn't seem very robust in the face of file deletion, addition
or renaming. I wasn't even aware incremental build should work unless
you only made changes to existing files. Is it supposed to?
I always start my day with a cvs update and then a scratch build and get
myself some breakfast :)

> Bug 4742.

Interesting, make sure you report that one upstream. I don't believe
many, if any, other project rely on the dependency generation feature of
gcj so they probably have not heard about that yet.

> > I also saw that at the same time there was a renaming of "broken" to
> > "unresolved" for the TestCases. Is that a functional change or just a
> > textual change? Maybe some tests were mislabeled in the process, so they
> > suddenly started running on my system and before they didn't and so
> > triggering this "execvp: Too many open files" now?
> >
> Two things to do in this situation are to review the changes you suspect
> could be problematic, and to scratch build before/after trees of the
> specific change showing it caused the breakage.

Could you explain why the changes were made and what they were supposed
to do? That would help in reviewing the issue.

Thanks,

Mark