Dwarf expertise needed

So I have been stuck on a bug to do with inlined functions for a bit. Here goes:

Attached are two programs funit-scopes.c, and funit-scopes-works.c. My original test case was simmilar to funit-scopes.c. What I would do is run the program until it crashes, get a stack back trace, go one frame out of the inner most frame, subptract 1 from the pc so that it is pointing at something before the return instruction.

Using that frame address I look at the debug info. I get a Die, ask the Die for its scopes, and explore upwards in the hierarchy.

For funit-scopes-works.c i get this:
  DW_TAG_inlined_subroutine name: second
  DW_TAG_compile_unit name:

For funit-scopes.c I cannot even get a die corresponding to the frame address (I have verified that frame address is between hight_pc, and low_pc for that particular expansion of that inlined function ).

Tow questions:
Why doesnt funit-scopes.c work ?
and
Why does funit-scopes-works.c not print the tag for the subroutine within wich the function has been inlined ?

funit-scopes is in cvs, and so is TestFrameScopes.java which performs the above test.