Re: proc based observers

Mark Wielaard wrote:
I'd like to suggest, and now that the task observers are working well, that we extend the observer interface so that, in addition to Task observers there be Proc wide observers. For instance:

Proc.addObserverBLAH()

would notify of any event of any task within the proc.

Thoughts

Seems like a good idea. In these situations does the caller expect the observer to be added to the current Tasks of the Proc or all Tasks of the Proc in the future that might not exist yet?

We're not building a new bike shed. Existing code already implements proc-wide observers (yes a proc-wide observer really is proc-wide), only it uses a clone observer and brute force to track new tasks as they are created. This change will let implement the functionality more directly in the core; hopefully a natural refactoring.

Andrew