Re: frysk-common ./ChangeLog ./Makefile.rules ./fr ...

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 11:02 -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> The current configury which unconditionally adds in, or edits CFLAGS
> et.al., is wrong.  Instead when CFLAGS, say, is specified on the
> configure line then its values should be 100% followed.  The add/edit
> only occuring when no CFLAGS was specified.

Yes, that is what Kris also said. But what is the plan to redesign our
build to make that work? And why was it designed to be that way in the
first place?

Normally I would follow the automake recommendations
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Flag-Variables-Ordering
But our current build system seems a little hostile towards that. That
setup assumes that you only manipulate AM flags and per-target flags in
your configure and build rules and that the user variables override that
behavior (by tagging CFLAGS on the end, which assumes that flags given
later to a tool cancel out earlier flags). But in the current build we
seem to want to explicitly mangle the given user flags, so I am
wondering why we do that. And currently we seem to depend on a couple of
internal automake variables which make things even more messy. So unless
someone has a good plan of cleaning this all up I would not bother with
it if things work now. Not saying the current build system is good, or
that I wouldn't be overjoyed with a cleaned up one. Just curious how to
get there.

Cheers,

Mark