Re: frysk-common ./ChangeLog ./Makefile.rules ./fr ...

Hi Kris,

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 10:03 -0800, Kris Van Hees wrote:
> In summary, when one or more of CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, GCJFLAGS is specified
> on the command line, configure will not honour implicit logic or options
> that would modify such variable.
>
> This bug fix to the --disable-werror logic checked in, and the long
> existing logic to handle the listed variables is currently being worked
> on.  I'll open a bugzilla, assigned to me, with this list message to
> track the development.

Could you explain what the correct way to handle these FLAGS would be
now? I see this is completely the opposite to how the configure logic
has been implemented in the past. common/frysk-common.ac explicitly
checks and resets the above flags and I found your configure changes
nicely follows that logic. How do you intend to make the above logic
work now? The problem seems to be that our build explicitly adds to
these flags (and strips things like -O2 from them) and at the same time
we want the user to override these same flags by adding or subtracting
different sets of flags. Although I see why you might want the above
setup it also looks like major surgery to the build scripts for little
gain. So please don't spend days on it. The build machinery is too
complicated as it is already. And if the only reason for the above
change is to make a build with different flags possible without a simple
reconfigure then I don't think it is really worth the effort (but I am
not the one doing the work, so please don't let me stop you if you love
build hacking!)

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. Be careful with adopting the build files they have some usage of
internal automake variables, like the *COMPILE ones. And I found it
pretty hard to adapt the build to have those work across automake
versions. Build file hacking can de addictive and eat up lots of time :)