Re: EventViewer Rewrite

Sami Wagiaalla wrote:

I'd have to second Phil's questions though - I think we need some
semblance of time, or relative time between events on the X axis.
The model I am basing this on and the one we already know works is that
of printf debugging, were the user doesn't really care about time.

Give that particular model and ...

The design of the new EventViewer makes it really easy to add a time tick
(just another event). A reasonable suggestion made by Cagney when we
had this dicussion a while back was to add a time tick every time the event
loop loops.

The above, there might be a case (at some point) to make the behavior of the widget scriptable. (ie time tick or not, just count, etc). Personally I can see the printf model working with the tag-sets (tags tied to lines of code in a program) but wonder how useful it would to know that my program forked in the event-viewer, but not what time it forked. The immediate solution to that problem would have a custom observer create a log-event and plot to event-viewer. This bring us nicely to log and event-viewer integration (ie click a log entry in the log view, have it highlighted in the eventviewer). Certainly food for thought, and something to think on, down the line.

Regards

Phil